MIDCON-DESIGNER Ltd.- information about activities
(ISO 9001:2015 DNV-GL)
Midcon – specialists in non-typical solutions
In the year 1988, a group of workers of the former Szczecin Shipyard design office established a private Design Office – MIDCON DESIGNER Ltd. By cooperation with many shipyards, owners and design offices MIDCON DESIGNER has gained the experience that makes it possible to take on the most interesting and technically most demanding orders.
MIDCON DESIGNER is specialized in designs of sea-going vessels, in compliance with owner’s guidelines and rules of classification societies DNV-GL, BV, GL, LR, PRS. The company’s portfolio is filled with realizations of designs such as shuttle ferries, tugboats, icebreakers, passenger ships, bulk carriers, container vessels, coast guard vessels, barges, drillships, FPSO.
The beginning of 90ties resulted in opening up the firm to orders coming from the Bulgarian market. The start of the Westpomeranian company’s activity was a realization of two large projects – conversion of bulk carriers into container vessels for the Bulgarian shipowner.
– In order to adapt ourselves to economic changes that took place after the economic system transformation, we have introduced different principles of designing, settlements for the designs and contract winning.
The project of a bulk carrier conversion into a molten sulphur tanker was the one that enabled the orderers to get acquainted with the Midcon company from the best side.
– It was the first project of this type in our country. The whole difficulty consisted in the necessity to carry the sulphur in high temperatures. Sulphur solidification could result in damaging the whole vessel.
From the period of cooperation with the largest Polish shipyards: Szczecin Repair Yard “Gryfia”, Stocznia Północna in Gdańsk and Gdańsk Shipyard “Remontowa”, the most important orders were execution of designs of two passenger/car ferries and designing of ferries for the Shipping company in Świnoujście.
We continue cooperation with these shipyards.
Our projects are realized at shipyards in Brazil, Turkey and Singapore.
The main shareholder of MIDCON DESIGNER is now LMG Marin, a Norwegian firm that is in possession of 52% of the Polish company’s shares.
– The Norwegian partners have perceived our skills, design execution quality and considerable experience (before the synergy took place, we had operated on the market for 19 years). We are the primary design suppliers for our partners until the present day.
At the beginning our firm was entrusted with preparation of classification drawings of ship hulls. Currently Midcon prepares abt. 90% of vessel classification documentation. Increased scope of work results from possibility of using new NUPAS CADMATIC software, by means of which most of constructions operated in the offshore marine industry can be designed.
– For Norwegian clients we design drilling&vessels. Now 80% of orders that come to our design office are entrusted to us by LMG Marin. The Norwegian partners have a large network of contacts thank to which we could think about increasing the scope of our services and participation in more and more advanced projects.
Further development of the company will run based on two main types of orders – designing of passenger/car ferries plying between fjords and drilling&vessels, FPSO for the needs of dynamically developing Brazilian offshore sector.
– The Brazilian market is very absorbent nowadays. We dispose of suitable equipment, software , we train our personnel. We want to combine our design capabilities with the option to calculate the hull strength and stability.
Midcon plans to increase the scope of services rendered in favour of Norwegian partners and it is interested in rendering services for Polish shipyards.
Our professional experience enables us to design watercrafts according to high requirements of our clients and specific Classification Societies rules.
In order to achieve this we are constantly raising qualifications of our designers directing them to appropriate training courses.
After the training courses we purchase suitable programs supporting the design processes. We strive to execute orders on time and at the highest technical level.
We have created a perfectly harmonious team of workers who are able to work together complementing each other. We are open to new challenges. We work according to the standard ISO 9001:2015 DNV-GL.
Our staff knowledge and the equipment we possess enable us to realize the most difficult tasks.
Without so committed team of workers our professional achievements would not be possible. This is our common success.